Thursday, May 12, 2011

Will my Health Insurance sue the father of my baby for pregnancy-related expenses


Will my Health Insurance sue the father of my baby for pregnancy-related expenses?
I am 7 months pregnant, and my partner and I are not married for complicated reasons and will not be married when the baby is born. I recently heard that my insurance company might sue him for medical expenses related to the pregnancy (he doesn't have health insurance).
 Is this true? Has this happened to any of you?
Pregnancy - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I really don't think this is true... I have never heard of this I have been battling legally with my son's father for about 4 years over expenses and my insurance co never said they would sue.
2 :
No, it doesn't work that way. Your insurance will pay for you and your baby.
3 :
They can't. He isn't the patient and has no financial responsibility to your medical needs in your pregnancy. I mean what would it matter if you were married or not? If you were married, then still couldn't make him pay for expenses...that's what insurance is for!!! You pay the monthly premium and they pay for everything else. You insurance is full of it.
4 :
Hmm I don't know where you heard this but it is most definately not true. First of all, during your pregnancy there is only one test available to determine DNA, which would be a deciding factor in this. This test is EXTREMELY expensive, and risky for you and your baby because it involves an amniocentesis (LARGE needle being inserted in your womb). Secondly, even if they could prove he is the father of your unborn child, the insurance company does not have the right to hold him responsible for your medical care. Depending on what state you live in, this will depend on whether or not you are receiving government assistance. It gets a little more complicated after that. But to answer your question...NO they cannot sue him.
5 :
sorry but that's definitely not true.
6 :
If your health insurance is in any way government funded ..he will be liable for 1/2 the pregnancy / birthing expenses and they will obtain a court judgment saying he owes that amount after paternity has been established. His paychecks can then be garnished accordingly. In Minnesota, medical support judgments are handled by the same office as child support. I know this because my guy is still paying medical support on his daughter (who is 16) because she was born premature and the hospital bills were over $250,000. He was never married to her mother ... but she has been on various types of public support, including using public medical insurance her entire life, so he owes 1/2 of these original medical bills.


Read more discussions :