Monday, April 16, 2012

Is health insurance cheaper if you are married


Is health insurance cheaper if you are married?
My boyfriend was going to add me to his health insurance since I didn't have any. It is going to be an extra $320/month for me. I have heard if you are married it is cheaper. Is this true? I am just wondering... I am not getting married just to get cheaper health insurance! LoL.
I know 2 people on the policy is more expensive but I wondered if you are married if it is cheaper for a couple to be on the policy than an unmarried couple or if marital status doesn't matter.
Insurance - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
No, two people on a policy doesn't make it a cheaper policy and with some companies it actually makes it more expensive. Also, look at an individual policy because unless you're 63 years old or live in a state like New Jersey where it's just expensive that's a very high premium at $320/month.
2 :
It depends on the policy and with most policies in most states you cannot be on the same policy unless you are married. If you are getting on a group policy the premium is set depending on the group demographics. With most groups you'd be paying the $320 whether you are married or not. Some of the companies in my area will give a small discount on individual policies if both the husband and wife are on the same policy but most don't.
3 :
Marital status is irrelevant, EXCEPT, if the employer contributes more for your spouse than your shacking up partner. The INSURANCE company charges the same. The EMPLOYER might contribute more for a spouse.
4 :
Marital status doesn't matter as long as you are a common law state. Either you're eligible for coverage or you're not, but the price won't change. You would probable save money with an individual policy on the open market, plus you would own the policy, not his employer. Don http://mtnhealthinsurance.com




Read more discusions :