Tuesday, September 28, 2010

How common is it for regular health insurance to cover wisdom teeth extraction


How common is it for regular health insurance to cover wisdom teeth extraction?
In other words, if a health insurance plan does not cover normal dental work (checkups, fillings, etc), is oral surgery considered a whole different thing? If so, how often is it covered (particularly wisdom teeth removal)? Thanks!
Dental - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
They will not cover wisdom tooth removal.
2 :
My dental plan considers this Oral surgery and so would not pay. My medical plan considers anything they have to pay for as not covered and so I had my Wisdom tooth extracted without anesthesia(I didn't have $800.00). It was impacted took 6 hours to extract in several peaces along with part of my jaw. I felt every last bit(except for a few seconds when I passed out and fell out of the chair)
3 :
It depends on the locatyoion you are staying in ie the country state and city ...whether the insurance is set up that way.usually Insurance does not cover the above. http://www.callcarenet.com
4 :
Not very common. My insurance didnt cover it thats why I got Ameriplan discount coverage. It was only 19.95 per month and they gave me 35% off which is better then nothing. Plus I loved how I could cancel the plan at anytime AND it was 19.95 not just for me but they added on everyone that lived with me for free. You should check them out. Look and see if your dentist or oral surg. takes it. There is a link on there where you can look up providers in your area. The website is http://www.mybenefitsplus.com/40683545
5 :
Personally, I don't have very good dental insurance. Oral surgery isn't covered and I only got about $30-40 from insurance for my wisdom tooth extractions which were probably around $100 each.


Read more discussions :