Sunday, January 1, 2012

How do I apply for free health insurance when I have a terminal illness but am still able to work


How do I apply for free health insurance when I have a terminal illness but am still able to work?
I have a terminal illness but I am still able to work, however, I am on COBRA because my last job wrongly fired me. I am not poor but I simply cannot keep paying for COBRA. I cannot go for Medicaid because my good doctor does not accept Medicaid and I do not want to owe lots of money and have to worry about paying it off.
I heard there is a program with either Social Security or Medicare where all you need to do is fill out a few forms and get a letter from your doctor stating that you have a terminal illness. Then you will receive health insurance for little or no cost and your doctor has to accept the insurance. Does anyone have any info on this? I am not disabled to the point where I cannot work, but my bills are a lot of money even with the COBRA coverage. I am not asking about MedicaID, I believe it is a form of MedicaRE...
Insurance - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Here is information about Social Security Disability Insurance: http://www.ssa.gov/disability/ and http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/index.htm and Since you are still able to work, I do not think you'll be able to qualify. If your doctor is unable to accept Medicaid, then you may want to find a new doctor if you can qualify for Medicaid. You want COBRA, rather than your own individual policy, because it still is a "group" policy which cannot be terminated (except for non-payment of benefits) whereas an individual policy can be terminated at any time. Medicare - you have to be a certain age - and it still isn't free. Information about Medicare can be found here: http://www.medicare.gov/ and http://www.medicare.gov/MedicareEligibility/home.asp?version=default&browser=Firefox%7C2%7CWinXP&language=English Are you currently working at another job? See if you can get put on a group health insurance policy.
2 :
Get a case with the rehab commission in your state. This agency will get you started in the path you need to go to get some help. Make sure you are assigned with a pro-active counselor, otherwise, you will get involved in red tape. They are suppose to connect you with the social security department as well.




Read more discussions :