Monday, January 4, 2010

How long is my health insurance active after I leave my job


How long is my health insurance active after I leave my job?
How long is my health insurance active after I leave my job? If I left there on 09/21/10 and they took my insurance out of my check on 9/24/10 how much longer do I have health care? Just wondering, 1 week, 2 weeks, a month? I have Blue Cross Blue Shield? Today is 10/1 and it says "Active" under my account when I look online.
Insurance - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
That depends on the provisions of the specific employer group plan - and whether your premiums are deducted on an advance basis or not. Just saying "BCBS" is not specific enough as BCBS has hundreds of different plans. Ask H.R.
2 :
It depends on the plan and how often you get paid, but it would usually be active until the end of that month or until the first pay period when you're no longer on the payroll. If you get coverage through COBRA then that's a different story, of course.
3 :
It depends on how your employer originally set up the coverage. It would be EITHER until 09/22/10, or until 09/30/10, unless you elect COBRA.
4 :
In many cases health insurance and dental benefits are terminated the day of your separation from work. Since you are no longer an employee the company does not have to subsidize your health insurance. In some cases cobra coverage is offered but you would have to pay separate for that. You are not going to get specific information on your health insurance plan by posting a question for others to answer. Pick up your phone and call your employee benefits center or the insurance company. In the meantime do not make any appointments until you find out the status of your coverage.
5 :
It depends on your employer. Likely it ended yesterday and also likely it will say active for the majority of the month until they (your employer) sends in the forms to cancel you. So, you're going to want to ask them and not us.


Read more discussions :